Clears and cutting grades suitable for manufacturing. Able to produce special sizes and specifications to order.
Through good silviculture management, New Zealand pine logs come in a range of qualities capable of yielding lumber grades to meet almost any requirement.
Appearance grades (board grades): for finishing and furniture uses can be either clear of knots or contain minor blemishes and tight knots.
- clear lumber free of knots and blemishes, used for high quality joinery, furniture and mouldings
- cutting grades for reprocessing to produce shorter clear lengths with excellent machining, and gluing properties. These grades contain large knots and blemishes which are removed by cross-cutting and ripping. The resulting clear components are often finger-jointed and edge-glued to produce mouldings and furniture.
New Zealand exporters are able to grade to most customer requirements. Common export grades include:
- Australia - Standards Association of Australia F5 and F7 structural grades (visual and machine stress graded)
- United States - Western Wood Products Association random width lumber specifications including mouldings and better, shop and factory grades.
- Japan - JAS structural grade specifications (which also include glue-laminated and plywood grades). Industrial grades are also produced including thinboard and a range of other grades to buyer specification.
New Zealand Pine Lumber Grades
No. 1 Clears
Suitable for mouldings, furniture, where clear, long lengths are required.
No. 2 Clears
Suitable for usage where one clear face, two clear edges are required..
Clear Finger Jointed
Suitable for usage where timber is to be painted. e.g. sills, fascia, windows, or selected use where a clear finish is required.
A tight knot grade for use in furniture, paneling, and high quality exterior use.
No 1A Cuttings Grade
Each piece shall yield one 1.8 metre clear cutting, with balance of cuttings averaging 1.0 metre. Minimum of 70% recovery of clear cuttings.
No. 2 Cuttings Grade
Each piece shall yield 70% of its length in clear cuttings 0.600 metres and over.
No. 3 Cuttings Grade
Each piece shall yield 60% of its length in clear cuttings of 0.200 metres and over.
Suitable for packaging, pallets and other industrial use.
Random Width Grades
Moulding & Better
No. 1 Shop
No. 2 Shop
Sizes Available for All Lumber Grades
Thicknesses: 25mm, 32mm, 40mm, 50mm, 75mm, 100mm
Widths: 50mm, 75mm, 100mm, 125mm, 150mm, 200mm.
By Special Request: 250mm, 300mm
Lengths: 1.8 metres to 6.0 metres Other Lengths by special request
- Timber is shown machined to clarify appearance. Can also be supplied sawn.
- New Zealand producers will produce grades and sizes to customer requests and customise standard grades to meet specific needs.
- Timber is available in a green sawn, unprocessed state through to kiln dried, machined and cut-to-length products.
- Standard kiln drying is 10 to 12% moisture content.
- New Zealand producers are also able to supply structural grades of lumber.
Members who supply lumber
Belfast Timber Processing Ltd
Cleland Timber Ltd
Eastown Timber Processors Ltd
Timberlink NZ (formerly Flight Timber)
Juken NZ Ltd (JNL)
McAlpines Manufacturing Ltd
Mitchpine Products Ltd
Napier Pine Ltd
Niagara Sawmilling Co Ltd
OTC Timber Co Ltd
Purepine Mouldings Ltd
Red Stag Timber
Westco Lagan Ltd